The SPMHA Community Stream is the main program offered by Sherwood Park Minor Hockey. It features 1300+ Sherwood Park based athletes from 4-18 years of age, combining to form over 75 teams that compete in the Edmonton Federation Hockey League in the U9, U11, U13, U15 & U18 divisions. It also features a house league program for our U7 & Discovery divisions. Our SPMHA teams compete against teams from other hockey associations in Edmonton and it's surrounding areas. All teams are tiered based on the Alberta One Standardized Tiering Model, ensuring that teams are matched against other teams of similar skill sets.
Discovery is a program designed for beginning skaters who are learning to move and skate while wearing hockey equipment. This program is required for players born in 2019 and is optional for those born in 2018.
- Players will be taught basic movement and skating skills through structured drills for about 2/3 of each 60-minute session.
- The remaining 1/3 of the time will be spent playing fun, non-competitive activities that help develop the skills learned in practice.
- The program is structured and the players will be divided into groups based on the number of registrants.
- There are no scheduled games throughout the season, only practices.
- The season runs from October to March, with 1-hour sessions on Saturday or Sunday mornings at either the Strathcona Olympiette Centre Small Ice or Broadmoor
- Season ends with a Mini-Jamboree (games) on the last weekend of the season.
Participation in Discovery is not required to join the U7 program, but it's highly recommended for beginning skaters.