The SPMHA Community Stream is the main program offered by Sherwood Park Minor Hockey. It features 1300+ Sherwood Park based athletes from 4-18 years of age, combining to form over 75 teams that compete in the Edmonton Federation Hockey League in the U9, U11, U13, U15 & U18 divisions. It also features a house league program for our U7 & Discovery divisions. Our SPMHA teams compete against teams from other hockey associations in Edmonton and it's surrounding areas. All teams are tiered based on the Alberta One Standardized Tiering Model, ensuring that teams are matched against other teams of similar skill sets.
Discovery is a program for beginning skaters who are learning to move and skate while wearing hockey equipment.
- Learn to Skate (2018 YOB).
- Discovery is not a prerequisite for the Initiation program.
- For the 2022-23 season those born in 2018 are designated to the Discovery program.
- This structured program teaches basic movement and skating through development drills for about 2/3 of each 60 minute ice slot.
- The remaining 1/3 of the session is devoted to playing non-competitive fun activities that develop the skills learned in the practice.
- The players will be divided into groups depending on the number of registrants.
- Structured program
- No scheduled games throughout the season - practices only.
- Typically includes Mini-Jamboree at the end of the season.
- 45 minute sessions from October to March
- Sessions are typically held at Broadmoor Arena on Saturday Mornings.
4-year old's MUST only participate in the Discovery program
Players MUST be 4 years old as of December 31 to register into the Discovery Program.