SPMHA COMPETITIVE STREAM PROGRAMS
For 2023-24, Sherwood Park Minor Hockey and the Sherwood Park King's Athletic Club are continuing their partnership to offer a competitive stream option for top-tiered U11 & U13 athletes.
These program aims to attract and retain top athletes & coaches in Sherwood Park and progress them to sanctioned true AA & AAA elite-stream hockey through enhanced development and program awareness.
For both the U11 & U13 Competitive Stream Programs, there will be a seperate tryout process prior to the traditional SPMHA Community Program evaluation process. The reason for a seperate tryout process is to provide a choice for families as there are additional expenses that come with participation in the competitive stream programs.
Selected players will be provided with an information session prior to team creation. This information session will include an detailed outline of the program and respective additional team costs.
The U11 Competitive Stream Program (Junior Kings) is designed for players selected to the top-level U11 HADP (Hockey Alberta Development Pilot) teams. It includes everything from the U11 Community Stream with enhancements such as SPKAC apprenticeship, integrated on-and-off-ice skills training, dedicated goalie coaches, additional coach certification opportunities, and a focus on community leadership.
- Active working relationship with SPKAC Coaches, Players & Technical Director
- Players wear SPMHA Junior Kings branded game apparel
- Players will be partnered with older SPKAC "Big King"
- Curriculum support to aid progression of player skills
- Integrated & coordinated on & off-ice skills training with certified skill providers.
- Target of 60 practices/player skill sessions per season
- 24 games plus tournaments and exhibitions
- Increased ratio of full-ice vs shared practices
- Access to expanding inventory of player development tools
- Dedicated and certified goalie coaches
- Additional goalie education and resources provided to goalies and goalie coaches
- Minimum of 20 group goalie training sessions
- Partnership with Kurtis Mucha Goalie Consulting
- Seasonal skill progression plan
- Additional coach certification opportunities.
- SPKAC support for setting seasonal training scope & sequence
- Regular check-ins with SPKAC Technical Director
- Enrollment in SPMHA Coach Mentorship Program
- Focus on character building and community leadership
- Team-led volunteer activities that allow players to give back to the community
- Leadership training opportunities through pairing up with younger division teams
- Players are able to take pride in representing Sherwood Park both locally and around the province through legacy team names (Arrows, Barons).